The Web’s Leading Military Blog Since 2004
Special Veterans Day You Served Podcast
Folks, our Veterans Day special on BlogTalkRadio is going to be an historic event. For the first time EVER, an internet talk show will be syndicated on a national radio show! We are working in close conjunction with the great people from KFBK radio and Patriotwatch in Sacramento, California. The You Served podcast has the potential of reaching literally millions of new listeners in one night across more than 10 states on the West Coast. Troy and I will be co-hosting with Bruce Maiman of KFBK.
Here’s the lineup for tomorrow night (all times CST):
1. Afghanistan Veteran Mike Tumminelli (known as Mike T on this blog)
* Michael Tumminelli works in Current Operations/Counter IED TF at Fort Myer. He is a veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom, having just returned from Afghanistan as an Embedded Training Team member as part of Task Force Phoenix. He has also been to both Iraq and Afghanistan as part of his DOD civilian job.
2. Vietnam Veteran and Medal of Honor Winner Leo Thorsness – A decorated United States Military veteran and retired colonel in the United States Air Force. Thorsness was awarded the Medal of Honor for valor in the Vietnam War, for an air engagement on April 19, 1967. He was shot down two weeks later and spent six years in captivity as a prisoner of war.
3. Desert Storm Veteran SGT Freedom – A Veteran of Desert Shield, Desert Storm and Determined Resolve, plus he is known as the voice of the patriot on his frequent You Tube videos that he publishes regularly.
4. WWII and Iwo Jima Veteran Major General Fred Haynes – He commanded two divisions and several regimental combat teams in three wars. He is the last living officer of Combat Team 28, the unit that raised the flag on Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima.
5. Vietnam Veteran and Medal of Honor Winner Paul â€˜Budâ€™ Bucha – Mr Bucha was a two time All-American swimmer. After graduating from the United States Military Academy at West Point, he was commissioned as an officer in the U.S. Army. In Phuoc Vinh, Vietnam, Captain Bucha of the 3rd battalion, 187th Infantry, 3rd Brigade 101st Airborne Division led a recon patrol that encountered strong resistance. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions between March 16-19, 1968.He later taught at West Point and became president of the Congressional Medal of Honor Society.
6. Iraq Veteran Zach Johnson – a singer/songwriter originally from Jacksonville, FL. He joined the Army in 2003 and writes songs that draw from his every day life, which offer an honest point of view into the life of a soldier, as well as a view into the life of an every day man. Zach is also an Iraq War veteran.
7. Veteran and embedded reporter Scott Kesterson live from Afghanistan with hopefully a couple of soldiers who will talk about what it is like to be serving on the Pakistan border on Veteranâ€™s Day. Scott Kesterson is an ex-soldier who is a freelance journalist and blogger. He was embedded with Task Force Phoenix from May 2006-May 2007 in Afghanistan and is about to release a cutting edge documentary titled AT WAR. You can see trailers and photos at www.atwarfilm.com. Scott is back in Afghanistan on another 3 month embed following up from his earlier tour assessing progress and the current situation from the border along Pakistan.
This week’s show is on a completely different date and time. In order to honor Veterans Day, we will air the show on Tuesday and begin at 2100 EST in order to sync up with the West Coast (we go live nationwide at 2200 EST with KFBK). This gives everyone plenty of time to get home from their parades and listen in on this historic show! This may be the only time all these great Americans are in the same place. Let’s also not forget Me and Troy, which covers the Iraq, Afghanistan and Desert Storm, respectively!!
Many, many thanks go out to Dave from Patriotwatch for being the driving force behind making this happen. He was a slave driver, but I think we’re going to have a quality product. Will you join us at www.blogtalkradio.com/youserved? Tell everyone you know! Email, call, spam, blog, text, whatever!! Get the word out and make this a one of a kind event.